Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

  1. What is a transfer student?
    A transfer student is defined as one who has been out of high school for at least one full semester and has attempted college or university work for credit.
  2. Which Alvin Community College classes transfer?
    To facilitate transferability of lower division courses, Senate Bill 148 requires each institution of higher education to adopt a core curriculum of 42 to 48 credit hours. The core curriculum can be transferred in block to any state college to be substituted for the core of the receiving institution. Alvin Community College requires a 42 credit hour core curriculum.

    Senate Bill 148 of the 75th Texas Legislature (1997) mandated Field of Study curricula. The fields of study curricula, along with core curricula, are intended to facilitate transferability of courses among Texas public colleges and universities. All public four-year institutions are required to accept Coordinating Board approved field of study courses in fulfillment of lower-division requirements for bachelor's degrees in majors that correspond to the field of study.
  3. Are all ACC courses transferable?
    Many ACC courses transfer to four-year colleges and universities.  If a student wants to know if the course(s) transfers to a university/college as a core requirement or as an elective, a student needs to meet with a representative from the college/university of choice or check with a ACC counselor or advisor.
  4. What are Core Classes?
    Core classes are often referred to as “the Basics”. These classes are general education courses required by any four-year college or university to meet freshman and sophomore level courses for a bachelor’s degree, (i.e., history, government, English, mathematics).  Check the core curriculum provided on this website and/or check with your ACC counselor or advisor to find out courses needed for transfer.
  5. Do I need an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree to transfer?
    No, you do not need an Associate of Arts degree to transfer.  However, there are many university incentives for graduating with an associate degree. Some universities may waive certain courses with an associate’s degree and you may be eligible for transfer scholarships.  Meet with a representative from the college/university of choice or check with a ACC counselor or advisor for additional information.
    Many students are able to graduate with an Associate of Arts by fulfilling all core curriculum requirements and completing the elective requirements toward additional university courses.  For example, if you are transferring as a Business Major and need to take additional courses for the School of Business, you can take your core courses plus courses in economics, accounting, computer science, business calculus, etc. as your electives.  This means you meet university and major department prerequisites. Plus, you have an associate degree to show for all your hard work!                  
  6. How do I get an associate degree before transferring to a university?
    To get an associate degree before transferring, you must apply for graduation.  This will take place during your final semester of coursework at ACC.  Complete a Graduation Application and don’t miss the application deadline date.  A student has the ultimate responsibility to research, select and register for courses meeting graduation requirements.  See a counselor or advisor for assistance.  

  7. Where can I find classes to take for my major? 
    There are different ways to find which major preparation classes you need for your university of choice. One way is using Articulation Agreements that list the university’s major classes and the equivalent courses offered at ACC. These can be obtained through the university of your choice or meeting with a counselor or advisor to orient you with available transfer or equivalency guides.  

  8. How can I be certain that a university will accept my courses?
    The student has the ultimate responsibility to research, select and register for courses meeting university transfer curriculum.  Each college/university reserves the right to make changes appropriate to their degree requirements.  It is recommended that you begin, or continue, meeting with a university representative to maintain updates with regard to university and department changes toward your major. 

  9. What is Articulation?
    Articulation is the process of evaluating whether classes at ACC are equivalent to classes at other colleges/universities that can be used towards requirements for admission, transfer credit, general education or major prerequisites.
  10. How do I choose a major? 
    If you have not decided on a major and need assistance in streamlining areas of career interests, it is time to meet with your ACC counselor.  The Career Center is equipped with computerized assessments to help you determine personality and career strengths and possible areas of interest..  You can also check out other online assessments by going to Career Planning 
  11. How do I find college/ university transfer information?
    Go to University Contacts
  12. What kind of grades do I need to transfer?
    The GPA necessary for admission varies from university to university and from major to major. Some universities accept a grade of “D” for transfer while others do not. Most universities calculate your GPA by adding all your grades together and dividing it into the total number of semester hours completed.  Some may use the higher grade on repeated classes.  Check the transfer admission website link for your college/university to determine transfer GPA requirements.  Go to University Contacts

  13. Do withdrawals hurt my chances of getting into my selected College/University?
    Students withdraw from courses for a variety of reasons.  It is better to drop a course than to receive a failing grade.  A pattern of frequent withdrawals may negatively affect your chances of being selected to attend your selected university/college.  Choose your classes carefully and try to avoid withdrawing from courses. 
  14. I am ready to transfer to a College/University what is my first step?
    Apply online @ Complete one application and send it to your selected college/universities.  Some universities have very competitive admission requirements.  Therefore make sure you complete the application correctly and include the required essay.  The application deadline dates vary greatly between universities be sure to have all required documents submitted on time.

  15.  How do I increase my chances of getting into the College/University of my choice?
    Colleges/Universities are interested in students who are successful and involved inside and outside of the classroom.  Your Grade Point Average (GPA) is extremely important, as well as your involvement in campus clubs and activities.  Be sure to take the recommended classes for your degree.  If you need help selecting the appropriate classes, contact a Counselor or Academic advisor. 

Contact Information 
Advising Services
3110 Mustang Road
Alvin, Texas 77511
Phone: 281-756-3531

Main Campus

Address: 3110 Mustang Road, Alvin, TX 77511
Telephone: (281) 756-3500

facebook twitter youtube flickr Instagram Logo Google+ Logo

ACC Foundation
ACC Softball
ACC Baseball
Active Shooter Response
Art Department /Exhibits
Campus Life
Campus Technology
College President
Computer Lab
Drama/Theatre Season
Course Evaluations
Learning Lab
Parking Permits/Student I.D.'s

Powered by Google TranslateTranslate

Military Friendly School

Professional Development at ACC

Facebook Twitter YouTube
Flickr Instagram Google Plus
ACC Mobile App - Oohlala KACC Live KACC TV

We are Excited that you are interested in ACC !

Call, Email and/or Tell Us About It Here