The criminal justice system has evolved greatly in recent years. No longer can applicants with minimal job skills expect to be hired. Today’s successful candidates must understand and demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the profession and pass measurable performance standards. Supported by a broad general education, training is given to develop professional competence in the field of contemporary law enforcement. Our programs apply to both the new student and the experienced criminal justice worker.
Alvin Community College offers a variety of educational and training opportunities within the Criminal Justice Field. We offer two different Associate Degrees, three certificate programs, concealed handgun training, and in-service law enforcement training.
Associate Degree Plans
Associate of Arts - Criminal Justice Field of Study
- This degree plan is a field of study approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board which is designed to meet the needs of students who plan to major in Criminal Justice and transfer all of the hours to a four year university or college.
Associate of Applied Science - Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement & Police Administration
- Now offering on-line classes.
- The curriculum in Law Enforcement and Police Administration prepares individuals for career services in law enforcement and related occupations. Supported by a broad general education, training is given to develop professional competence in the fields of law enforcement administration, police science, prevention and control of delinquency and crime, correctional administration, and industrial security administration. This curriculum is applicable to both the preparatory student and the experienced officer.
Basic Police Academy
Academic Alternative Texas Peace Officer Program
- The Alvin Community College Law Enforcement Academy train women and men for a career in Law Enforcement. The course curriculum is designed so the student can meet the testing objectives of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) and be certified to take the TCOLE licensing examination.
- The Academic Alternative Texas Peace Officer Program offers students who hold a bachelor’s degree with the seven criminal justice core courses the opportunity to complete the police academy without having to repeat the subjects covered by the core courses.
Criminal Justice - Crime Scene Technician Certificate
- This course provides the student with the goals and principles of physical evidence and defines the application of forensic sciences to the criminal investigation. It identifies the goals of crime scene management and provides the methodologies employed in recording the crime scene and in locating, collecting, and preserving the evidence. The importance and procedures for establishment of the chain of custody are presented, as are the methods utilized for requesting laboratory analysis of the recovered items of evidence. Emphasis is placed on providing each student with hands-on experience with lecture.
Civilian Hand Gun Classes
***NOW REGISTERING FOR JUNE AND JULY CLASSES***
- ACC offers handgun safety, civilian marksman, and concealed handgun licensing classes.
In-Service Law Enforcement Training
- Alvin Community offers a variety of in-service training course that are Texas Commission on Law Enforcement approved.
- Training Schedule