Students are exempt from taking a placement test for any one of the following reasons:
- ACT - a combined score of 23 or higher with a minimum of 19 on English and math grants a full exemption. A combined score of 23 or higher with a minimum of 19 on English grants a partial exemption in English; a combined score of 23 or higher with a minimum score of 19 on math grants a partial exemption in math. Scores must be no more than 5 years old.
- SAT - a combined score of 1070 or higher with a minimum of 500 on both Critical Reading and math grants a full exemption. A combined score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on Critical Reading grants a partial exemption in English; a combined score of 1070 or higher with a minimum score of 500 on math grants a partial exemption in math. Scores must be no more than 5 years old.
- TAKS-minimum score of 2200 on the English language arts with a minimum score of 3 on the writing subscore; 2200 on math, scores must be no more than 5 years old. Partial exemptions can be granted in English or Math.
- STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment for the math section for a period of 5 years from the date of testing.
- Associate or Baccalaureate degree graduates from a Texas public institution of higher education.
- Transfer students from private or independent institutions of higher education or an accredited out of state institution and who have satisfactorily completed college-level course work as determined by the receiving institution.
- Transfer students who have been determined to have met college readiness standards.
- A student who is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or member of the armed forces reserve and has been serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment.
- A student who on or after August 1, 1990 was honorably discharged, retired or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, or the Texas National Guard or served as a member of the armed forces reserve.
Students solely enrolled in a Level One certificate program must take the assessment test, but may waive developmental courses. Course prerequisites will apply. Students concurrently enrolled in an Associate Degree or Level Two Certificate program are not eligible for this waiver. The waiver applies only while pursuing the Level One certificates below:
- Basic Law Enforcement Academy
- Child Develop/ Early Childhood
- Child Develop/ Early Child. Adm.
- Computer Information Technology
- Computer Info. Tech. Networking
- Court Reporting Scopist
- Crime Scene Technician
- Culinary Arts
- Culinary Arts Management
- Emergency Medical Technician- Advanced
- Emergency Medical Technology
- Industrial Design Technology
- Office Admin - Administrative Support
- Office Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Process Technology
- Radio/Television Broadcasting
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Vocational Nursing (LVN)
Building A, Room 144A