Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

You are here  >  International Students

International Students

College Admission

Alvin Community College is a public, two-year, community college. The college offers academic and vocational courses that lead to a variety of associate and bachelor degrees. All programs of study are approximately two years in length. We are fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Several of the vocational divisions have achieved accreditation with specialized accrediting agencies. The college seeks to admit well-qualified international students who, because of their academic preparation, will benefit from the college community.

Academic Year

The academic year is composed of Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. 
The Fall semester begins in late August and ends in December.
The Spring semester begins in mid-January and ends in May.
The Summer semester (June through August) includes both five and eleven week sessions. 
The application and documentation deadline for international admission for each term is:

January 1 . . . . Summer semester
April 1 . . . . Fall semester
August 1 . . . . Spring semester

Application for Admission

Students seeking admission to ACC should complete an application and submit it to the International Students Services Office only.  All applications must be mailed and accompanied by the application fee of $25 (U.S. currency), with all the documents required based on the status under “Step 2,” listed below. Mail the application with the application fee, and documents to Alvin Community College, International Students Office, 3110 Mustang Rd. Alvin, TX 77511.

Application Procedure: Steps 1-6

Step 1 Complete the Online Application at ApplyTexas.Org.
(Use browsers Chrome, Mozilla or the latest version of IE)
Step 2 Application Checklist:
Step 3 Transcripts - All official transcripts showing completion of at least four (4) years of secondary school study and any university-level or other post-secondary school work. An official transcript is one issued and sent directly to the college by the Registrar, Principal, or responsible head of each school. When this is not possible, transcripts certified by an Embassy or Consular official as true copies are acceptable. Uncertified or student copies are not acceptable. Students seeking transfer of credit from foreign institutions must have transcripts evaluated by an approved service.
Step 4

TOEFL Score Report - All students who are citizens of countries whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum acceptable composite score is 525 on the TOEFL (paper based test), and 70 on the TOEFL (internet based test), or Band 6 range on the IELTS. Tests must have been taken within the last two years. Students will not be accepted without the required scores. No TOEFL o IELTS needed, if English is your native language. A score report must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the college. Information concerning the TOEFL may be obtained by writing to TOEFL/Box 899/Princeton, NJ 08540 USA.

Step 5 You are exempt from the TOEFL requirement if you:
  • Have earned a high school diploma or bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.
  • Speak English as your native language. This exemption refers to students from Australia, the Bahamas, and Belize, the British Isles, and English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands. Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, The United States, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies and Zimbabwe.
Step 6 Sponsor's Declaration - All international students are required to have a sponsor while attending the college. The Alvin Community College Sponsor's Declaration form (click to print and complete the form) or the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) Affidavits of Support are acceptable. A financial statement must accompany either form. There is no exception to this rule. The sponsor does not have to be a U.S. citizen. However, the sponsor cannot be an F-1 or M-1 visa student. To have access to the Affidavit of Support (USCIS form I-134) that needs to be signed by your sponsor, click here.


  1. Bacterial Meningitis Shot record required for all students 22 years old and younger – Bacterial Meningitis Information
  2. Medical Health Insurance - All international students are required to purchase medical health, evacuation and repatriation insurance while they are enrolled at Alvin Community College. Evidence of insurance coverage must be shown before registration for classes. If you do not have medical health insurance, we can provide information for insurance companies.
  3. Assessment Testing - All students attending Texas public colleges are required to take an assessment test to determine their readiness for college level courses. The test is not used to deny admission, but simply to place students in the appropriate starting courses. Some students are exempt from taking the assessment test. Students who are unable to prove a valid exemption are required to take the assessment test upon arrival at the college. If students do not score at college level on the assessment, they are required to enroll in developmental courses.
  4. Security Deposit - Once admitted to the college, an international student must make a $500 security deposit. INS stipulates that an international student must not become a financial burden on U.S. agencies. This deposit provides funds that a student may have access to in cases of a dire emergency. The student, in essence, is borrowing against this deposit and the amount taken out must be replaced. This deposit is refunded to the student upon transfer or completion of his/her course of study.


International Student Advisor's Report - This form is required for all students with the F-1 VISA that are attending an educational institution in the U.S. and planning to transfer to Alvin Community College.  It must be completed by the International Student Advisor where the student is transferring from and forwarded directly to Alvin Community College. If you are attending another college or university within the U.S. as an F-1 student, a copy of the current I-20 and I-94 card must also be submitted to ACC. If transferring to Alvin Community College under any other visa status, a copy of the visa, work permit or spouse's I-20 or visa must be mailed to us.

Important Links



F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment for up to 20 hours, subject to certain conditions and restrictions. 

After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

Contact Information

Tracy Jones, PDSO
International Advisor
3110 Mustang Road
Alvin, Texas 77511
Phone: 281-756-3531 and 3528
Fax: 281-756-3843

Contact Us

Main Campus

Address: 3110 Mustang Road, Alvin, TX 77511
Telephone: (281) 756-3500

facebook twitter youtube flickr Instagram Logo