Pharmacy Technicians are an integral and critical member of the health care team. They work with Pharmacists in drug preparation, distribution, and management in a variety of health care settings. Duties include drug and sterile product preparation, counting, pouring, and labeling pharmaceutical products for distribution, data entry, inventory control and management, and customer service. The Pharmacy Technician Program at ACC offers an Associate Degree and a two (2) semester certificate program. The certificate program is flexible and can be completed in three (3) semesters as a part time student or two semesters as a full time student. The program includes internet courses, hybrid courses (internet and classroom), laboratory, and clinical internship at community and institutional pharmacies. Upon completion of our program, the student will be prepared to sit for the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam.
Pharmacy Technicians can work in retail chain pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, nursing homes, mail order pharmacies, and education/training programs. Pharmacy Technicians can specialize in compounding and sterile IV preparation with more specializations developing each year. Career opportunities in the Houston and surrounding areas and nationally remain strong. Pharmacies contact ACC regularly about qualified students to fill job openings. According to onetonline.org, the average salary for a Pharmacy Technician in Texas is $28,900.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Make application to Alvin Community College and fulfill the admission requirements.
- Not currently on suspension or academic probation.
- A background check will be conducted by the state of Texas Pharmacy Board in when applying for technician in
training status. You must not have any felonies in the last 5 years or drug convictions.
- Physical Exam and immunization required for clinical rotation in the last semester.
- CPR certification required for clinical rotation in the last semester.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Pharmacy Technician.......................................60 credit hours
Pharmacy Technician........................................27 credit hours
Faculty and Key Support Staff
Rhonda Boone, DC– Department Chair, Pharmacy Technician Program
- Rhonda Boone, DC received an Associates of Science—Radiologic Technology, Bachelor of Science—Human Biology, Doctorate of Chiropractic and Masters of Science in Education - Instructional Design for Online Learning. Dr. Boone has been certified by Kaduceus, Inc in Pharmacy Technician curriculum, Certified as a Pharmacy Technician, and Certified in IV preparation and compounding.
For more information, email email@example.com
Other adjunct instructors to be announced.
Alvin Community College
3110 Mustang Road
Alvin, TX 77511
For accommodations: 281-756-3533 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.