Medication Administration for Certified Nurse Aide
In the ACC Medication Administration for Nurse Aide Program, those currently employed as certified nursing assistants can continue their education and develop a new skill. In this 148-hour state-approved program, you will learn the skills needed for the safe administration of routine medications to residents in long-term care, MHMR facilities, licensed personal care facilities and correctional institutions. Upon completion of the program and successful state testing, you will earn your medication aide certificate, which allows you to perform certain skills with supervisory clearance, including:
- Observe and report reactions and side effects to medications
- Take and record vital signs prior to administering medications
- Administer regularly prescribed medication which you have been trained to administer
- Administer oxygen via nasal cannula or a non-sealing mask in an emergency
Along with this introductory class, ACC also offers a Medication Aide Update class to help meet the annual educational requirements needed for this type of certification. This course is offered monthly except in January.
The class provides in-depth review of medication administration including body systems; anatomy and physiology; and medication properties and includes classroom, laboratory and supervised clinical experience. Curriculum for this course includes, but is not limited to:
- Procedures for preparation and administration of medications
- Responsibility, accountability, storage and liabilities of medication administration
- Use of reference materials
- Documentation of medications
- Federal and state licensing and certification standards
- Lines of authority in clinical facilities
- Allowable and prohibited practices of permit holders in medication administration
- Drug reactions and side effects of commonly administered medications
- Rules governing the Texas Department of Aging & Disabilities Medication Aide program
In order to participate in the program, applicants must meet these admission requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED
- Have the ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English
- Be free from communicable diseases and in suitable physical and emotional health to safely administer medications
- Have been employed in a facility for 90 days as a non-licensed direct care staff person – this employment must occur during the 12-month period preceding the first official class day.
- An employ-ability check using both the EMR and NAR will be conducted by the coordinator to verify that the student is not listed as unemployable and not listed as a revoked or suspended permit status in their CNA licensing.
- PRIOR to beginning the training program, the student must obtain a criminal history report from the Department of Public Safety and verify there has not been a conviction of a criminal offense listed in THSC Chapter 250.
Note: An applicant employed in a Medicare or Medicaid Skilled Nursing Facility is exempt from the 90-day requirement if that individual is listed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry. Applicants must be employed on the first day of the program and maintain employment throughout the course. This exemption only applies to certified nurse aides working in nursing homes.
Medication Administration for the Nurse Aide
|CENURA 1013 AC219||08/12/19- 12/11/19||1:00 PM - 4:00 PM||MTW||H108||D Ives|
Out-of District: $1520.00
Other Fees: $134.76
Medication Aide Update for the Nurse Aide
This class helps fulfill the annual education renewal requirements for the certified medication aide. Class topics include a review and update of medication aide training rules, medication administration, and related responsibilities.
Note: The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services recommends taking the Update class 90 days prior to permit expiration.
|CENURA 1041 AC12||08/10/2019||09:00AM - 04:30PM||S||H108||D Ives|
|CENURA 1041 AC01||09/07/2019||09:00AM - 04:30PM||S||H108||D Ives|
|CENURA 1041 AC02||10/05/2019||09:00AM - 04:30PM||S||H108||D Ives|
|CENURA 1041 AC03||11/02/2019||09:00AM - 04:30PM||S||H108||D Ives|
|CENURA 1041 AC04||12/07/2019||09:00AM - 04:30PM||S||H108||D Ives|
Out-of District: $112.91
Other Fees: $6.09
281-756-3787 / email@example.com
REGISTRATION: Visit Building H, Room 103 | Policies