Upward Bound Program
What is Upward Bound?
The mission of the ACC Upward Bound Program is to provide each student with improved academic skills, high self-esteem, cultural opportunities, and an increased enthusiasm for the for the learning process. The goals and objectives of the program are designed to help participants succeed at the secondary and post-secondary levels.
The Alvin Community College Upward Bound program is a year-round program for motivated Alvin High School students with academic potential who want to go to college.
The program offers academic tutoring, advising, assistance in obtaining financial aid, on-campus summer camp, local and out-of-town field trips, and ACT/SAT preparation. If you meet certain academic requirements you may be eligible for a monthly stipend.
Because Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program, there is no cost to participate. Upward Bound has helped thousands of students succeed since it began in 1966. The Alvin Community College Upward Bound Program opened in 2003.
Benefits of Upward Bound
- Your grades will likely improve if you actively participate in the program.
- You'll be introduced to key personnel at a number of local businesses, colleges and universities.
- You'll have the opportunity to polish your academic skills and learn new ones.
- You'll enjoy the fun and flexibility of college life during the six-week summer program.
- You'll be prepared to succeed in college.
- If you meet certain academic criteria, you may be eligible for a monthly stipend.
- If you are interested in Upward Bound, ask your high school counselor for an application, or call Alvin Community College at 281-756-3849.
Who Can Be An Upward Bounder?
- An Alvin High School Student
- Have completed 8th grade
- Have not completed their fall semester of their 11th grade year
Selection is competitive and is based on teacher recommendations, test scores, grades
and a personal interview.
Upward Bound is divided into academic and summer components. During the school year participants attend two Saturday academies per month at Alvin Community College, where they receive academic assistance and advising, along with the opportunity to participate in field trips, learn new computer skills, and enjoy the ACC facilities.
Participants also attend weekly tutoring sessions. Click here for the tutoring form. Students will attend quarterly advising. These sessions are tailored to meet your individual needs. During the summer session, participants attend a six week session which introduces them to the fun and flexibility of college life. Some days you may find yourselves out in the field, talking to experts at local businesses; others days, you will be behind your desk in the morning, then tackle cutting-edge computer skills in the afternoon; still others, you will be on the bus headed off to nearby universities to meet with key personnel.