Providing a safe environment for students, guests and employees to learn, participate in personal enrichment activities and work on the campuses is the cornerstone of operations at Alvin Community College. Efforts are made continuously to ensure people and property are protected from harm such as:
- 24-hour patrols and assistance from Campus Police
- Mutual aid agreements with local law enforcement agencies
- 24-hour access to maintenance personnel
- Use of a comprehensive communications network
- Implementation of comprehensive and adaptive emergency plans and more
If an emergency does occur, the College’s goal is to handle it in the most effective manner possible to reduce the likelihood or level of harm to people and property.
Preparing for an emergency is an individual’s responsibility, as well. When students, guests and employees are familiar with emergency plans and procedures and have personal emergency contingency plans, safety and the ability to respond appropriately to an emergency are greatly enhanced. The College has numerous resources relating to emergency preparedness. In addition to familiarizing yourself with the materials that are listed below, more information can be acquired from ACC Campus Police.
To Report an Emergency
To report an emergency or potential emergency situation, contact the ACC Campus Police at (281) 756-3700 or in person at Building H, Room 132.
Examples of emergencies include:
|Utility failures||Smoke and/or fire||Chemical or radiation spills|
|Serious weather||Violent/criminal behavior||Civil disturbances|
|Terrorist attacks||Bomb threats||Aircraft accidents on or near campus|
|Life/health threatening medical/psychological problems||Transportation accidents|
RAVE is ACC's emergency notification system designed to quickly warn students of possible threats, severe weather and college closings. Students are automatically enrolled each semester of attendance. Students must provide emergency contact information and should update this information through The POD or at the Admissions and Registrar’s Office.
Automated External Defibrillators (AED's)
An AED is a medical device that analyzes the heart’s rhythm. If necessary, it delivers an electrical shock, known as defibrillation, which helps the heart re-establish an effective rhythm (heartbeat). In an emergency, call ACC Police at 281-756-3700 or call 911.
Brazoria County Hurricane Preparedness
The website provides important information, assistance and resources for the citizens of Brazoria County to be prepared for emergencies.
School Closings on ABC 13
Also check TV broadcasts for school closings in the event of emergencies.
Emergency Management Plan
Alvin Community College Emergency Management Plan identifies natural and man-made emergencies that may impact the campus community and details the response procedures that campus officials should follow in case of an emergency. The basic emergency procedures outlined in this guide are to protect life and property through effective use of College resources, and to provide for the physical and emotional well-being of the members of our campus community during and immediately following an emergency.
This document describes an integrated plan for responding to a College emergency. Whenever an emergency affecting the College reaches proportions that cannot be handled by routine measures, the president, or his/her designee, may declare a state of emergency and implement the Emergency Management Plan. It is recognized that the specific actions implemented will be dependent on the nature and severity of the situation. Since an emergency may be sudden and without warning, these procedures are designed to be flexible in order to accommodate contingencies of various types and magnitudes.
Emergency Response Team
When an emergency occurs, ACC Campus Police will contact members of the Campus Emergency Response Team, which consists of a policy group and a response group. The policy group is led by the president and includes members of the Planning Team. The Emergency Response Team includes the following:
Emergency Director: College President or designee
Emergency Coordinator: Chief of Campus Police
Physical Damage: Director of Physical Plant
Financial Impact: Vice President of Financial Services
Academic Impact: Vice President of Instruction
Student Impact Dean of Students
Employee Impact: Director of Human Resources
Legal Considerations: President or designee
Public Information: Assistant to the President
Technology Resources: Director of Information Technology
Student and Academic Impact: Dean of Academic Programs
Student and Academic Impact: Dean of Technical Programs
Student and Academic Impact: Executive Director of Continuing Education
The Emergency Response Team is responsible for implementing the overall Emergency Management Plan . All team members will alert and coordinate additional staff support as needed for meeting the emergency, while the president with the advice of the Planning Team, will make emergency policy decisions and request outside assistance when necessary. Other campus individuals may find it necessary to respond, depending on how the emergency affects their individual units and on what type of additional support service their unit can provide.
Information Technology Emergency Contingency Plan
To help ensure information security, continuity of services and continuous communication in the event of an emergency, the Information Technology Department at ACC has comprehensive, versatile and adaptable contingency plans and systems to respond to various scenarios as outlined in the Emergency Management Plan. For more information, contact ACC IT Department at ITServices@alvincollege.edu or (281) 756-3536.
School Emergencies are announced on:
- KACC Radio and TV – The College’s radio station, KACC 89.7 FM, and television station, KACC TV Channel 16 on Comcast, can broadcast emergency and school operations notifications and instructions.
- ACC Web Site – Information and directions can be published to the College’s Web site (www.alvincollege.edu).
- Campus Marquees – Information and directions can be posted on the College’s outdoor electronic marquees located on Mustang Road and Bypass 35 at the entrance of the Nolan Ryan Center.
- Campus-wide Telephone Address System – The ACC Campus Police can broadcast the emergency and instructions on the campus-wide telephone system.
- ACC E-News – Information and directions can be sent to subscribers of ACC E-News, the College’s monthly electronic newsletter.
- Media – Local print, radio and television media may be contacted of the emergency and applicable instructions.
- Twitter and Facebook – Brief updates to Twitter and Facebook may be implemented, if appropriate, sending readers to other locations for more detailed information and instructions.
- In-house Television System – Information and directions will be able to be broadcasted on the College’s campus-wide television system it is installed in buildings throughout the main campus.