Frequently Asked Questions


The best way to receive information is to email the Veteran Services Coordinator or visit the ACC Welcome Center.

Check the list of required documents. You are also welcome to visit our office in person and we will gladly provide you with a checklist and walk you through the process.

Typically state benefits are applied after all Federal benefits have been exhausted, however; there are some instances where the benefits can be stacked and used at the same time. For more information, please contact our office.

All documentation must be submitted to the Veterans Office before the payment deadline. It is preferred that we meet in person at least once a semester to ensure all grades and documentation is in order. You may submit all documentation via email or in person with a scheduled appointment. To schedule an appointment or submit documentation, please email: VeteranServices@alvincollege.edu.

Enrollment Certifications are sent to the VA no earlier than 30 days before the first day of class. This allows the VA to process the book stipend; after class begins the tuition and fees are sent to the VA. Your fee statement will be stamped paid and you will not be dropped for nonpayment once all VA paperwork is received. The VA payment amount will not be reflected on your fee statement until after the first day of class, any Financial Aid refund will be corrected at that time. 

There is a wide range of reasons for a delay in your benefits. Typically benefits are delayed for any of the following reasons:

1. Missing/incomplete documentation
2. Change in degree plan/course of study
3. Out dated documentation
4. Courses submitted that are not listed on the degree plan
5. Paperwork submitted late 

For Veterans who were released after the fall of 1989 testing is not required. Testing is recommended for students who need refresher courses in Reading, Writing and Math. The VA will pay for remedial courses but test scores must be on file. 

A wide range of services are available upon request. Disability Services, tutoring, Personal Counseling and referrals to long term counseling services are available. There is also the Veterans only break room that allows networking with other student veterans. The ACC Veterans club meets monthly in the fall and spring semester. 

Only the VA regional office can determine eligibility for Federal Benefits. If you have any questions about eligibility you can contact them at 1-888-442-4551. ACC will help facilitate your application for Va benefits, but the final decision regarding eligibility lies with the VA.

The best information about the Hazlewood Act is located at the Texas Veterans Commission website regarding the Hazlewood Act. Please refer to it to determine eligibility. Once again ACC will help you complete the application; eligibility is determined based on the rules of the TVC.