Immigration Naturalization

Immigration & Naturalization Procedures

Once accepted by Alvin Community College, you will be sent an I-20AB form. This form is needed to secure an F-1 Visa (or IAP-66) in order to obtain an M-1 Visa from the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country. The U.S. Consular officer may ask for other documents (such as the sponsor's financial statement) before issuing a visa. With the student visa, a passport, and the form issued by the college, you may enter the U.S.

You will be given one additional document by the immigration officer at the U.S. border called the 1-94 Arrival/Departure Record. This document shows your status when you are admitted to the U.S. and how long you may stay. It also shows your unique Admissions Number which is used to identify you with INS.

Students in F-1 or M-1 status must follow certain regulations to stay legally in the U.S. Students must: 1) be enrolled full-time during the academic year, 2) not drop below full-time enrollment during the semester, 3) notify the Advisor for International Students of any change in enrollment status.

Students who transfer from other U.S. institutions (F-1 students only) must provide copies of both sides of their current 1-20 and 1-94 card as part of their admission documentation. Transfers are made by the Advisor for International Students only. Once accepted by the college, a new I-20AB and transfer instructions are issued.

Effective October, 27, 2008 the Immigrations & Customs Enforcement (ICE) implemented a $200.00 I-901 application fee (payable prior to attaining Visa). Proof of payment must be provided prior to receiving your student visa, to your Consulate or Embassy. Go to to obtain more information and payment procedures.